This is the feature that allows you to change printers, scanners, keyboard, mouse and other devices. The setting is designed to simplify the management of connecting devices to your computer.
Bluetooth and other devices
If you turn ‘On’ the Bluetooth button, your computer will scan for any Bluetooth devices in the computer range automatically. Any devices that are found will be displayed. Expand the list and click on ‘pair’ which will connect the device with your computer. You will be asked to confirm the passcode which is displayed on both devices is the same.
There is also a shortcut to turning on Bluetooth through the action center at the bottom right of your desktop screen, in the taskbar.
Printers and scanners
The printers and other devices that are connected to your computer will be listed here along with some Microsoft programs eg. Microsoft Print to PDF.
Unless your data is metered, leave the ‘download over metered connections’ unchecked.
This feature allow you to configure your mouse. If you are left handed you may wish to change the primary mouse button setting. You can also configure the mouse wheel settings to scroll multiple lines at a time, up to 100.
If you are experiencing any problems using your mouse, there is a troubleshooting my mouse feature.
This setting allow you adjust the cursor delay and gives you the options of most sensitive, high sensitivity, medium sensitivity and low sensitivity. Medium is the default setting that most suits most people.
There is a section in this setting that links to how to use the touchpad to ‘learn other gestures’, which are listed below
Touchpad gestures for Windows 10
- Select an item: Tap on the touchpad.
- Scroll: Place two fingers on the touchpad and slide horizontally or vertically.
- Zoom in or out: Place two fingers on the touchpad and pinch in or stretch out.
- Show more commands (similar to right-clicking): Tap the touchpad with two fingers, or press in the lower-right corner.
- See all open windows: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe them away from you.
- Show the desktop: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe them towards yourself.
- Switch between open windows: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe right or left.
- Open Cortana: Tap three fingers on the touchpad.
- Open action center: Tap four fingers on the touchpad.
- Switch virtual desktops: Place four fingers on the touchpad and swipe right or left.
The typing settings lets you turn on and off autocorrect misspelled words and highlight misspelled words.
There are other autocorrect settings which can be turned on to correct common typing errors such as adding spaces or full stops. There are also multilingual text suggestions if you type in other languages that Windows can recognise.
Pen and Window Ink
You can choose your font in the Pen and Windows Ink setting when using handwriting. This is a little used feature on a PC and offers more settings in tablet form.
AutoPlay all you adjust settings to media files and removable devices that are connected to your computer. You may set these options to your personal preferences.
With a removable device, the default setting is to ‘Ask me every time’ to add media files. You can also set this to ‘take no action’, ‘open folder to view files in file explorer’,or configure storage settings. There are other options for Memory card and other media devices such as phones.
If there are any problems with your USB devices, you will be notified about it if you check this box.